Sunday, February 19, 2012

Simple Sunday

When I put in an eight hour day at the Bed & Breakfast, on my feet, baking scones, cooking breakfast for 20 guests, and turning over eight rooms, I don't have much energy by the time I walk home at 4pm.  At least it was a warm and sunny February day, even if I had to spend the whole day inside.  Working at the bed & breakfast on the weekends is always fun, a lot of work, but it's worth it when you meet so many wonderful people from all over the world. 

So when I got home all I had the energy to do was start some mung bean sprouts for the week.  I usually pour about an inch of beans into a quart sized large mouth mason jar.  I went to my local hardware store and bought a few feet of mesh screen that I cut into circles slightly larger than the lid ring. That way you can easily screw the lid back onto the jar and rinse the beans right through the screen.  I rinse them 2-3 times a day until the have sprouted to about an inch in length.  Then, transfer them to the fridge.  

Use these yummy sprouts on salads, soups, stir-fry, eggs, anything you like!  I love making these over the winter when there is a limited supply of fresh vegetables around.  They are an easy way to get something really green and crunchy into your diet.


















No comments:

Post a Comment