Friday, February 17, 2012

Waking Up

Somedays, the second I step out the door, the birds tell me that Spring is coming.  Do you know that sound, smell, and feel that spring is right around the corner?  This morning in particular, the birds sounded so freakin happy chirping away up in the big maple tree, the grass was damp, the air was warm and humid, and the sun was slowing burning off the thin clouds that stretched across the sky.


My compost pile looks like a big sleeping bear quietly hibernating in the back of my yard. Collecting my kitchen scraps and laying green material (food scraps) onto brown material (straw and leaves that I store in the ground cellar) and layers of dirt throughout slowing keeps the pile growing.  It doesn't seem to be going anywhere right now, but once the weather warms up, it will start to 'move' a lot more quickly.




I need to keep something green and edible in the house while it is cold and gray outside.  I seeded this little organic leaf lettuce into a window box planter. They stay warm on the radiator and get a little sunlight (not enough this time of year) through the big kitchen window.  They won't get huge or thick, but it's just the sight of them growing big and tall in just a matter of days is what is most exciting.  I will soon trim them off and through them onto a salad or in some soup.  They are more like sprouts than lettuce greens, but still just as delicious!




There's also no harm in attempting to grow a pineapple top. I cut this little guy up for dinner the other night and instead of composting the green top of the fruit, I potted it up in some succulent soil mix.  We'll see what happens, I will keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment